Social stories are short, clear ways of explaining some of life's complexities to young children. They are useful when as adults, we cannot find the right words. Generally, children can cope with a great deal if they are given the facts in a way they can mentally manage. At the bottom of this page there are social stories for parents and teachers to use with chidren ranging from why schools are closed, to preparing to go back to school.
Sally Nicholls and Viviane Schwarz have written a short story called Staying Home, for children to try to explain the pandemic to young children. You can access the story here:
How to NOT go to School
Mike Forde has written a story for children about home learning and all that comes with it. Access the book here: /167/video-galleries/cat/8/story-time.
- Social DIstancing Social Story22nd Mar 2020
- We are at home right now Social Story22nd Mar 2020
- Social Story for young children School is Closing19th Mar 2020
- Someone I know has Coronavirus Social Story30th Mar 2020
- It is Not Your Turn to go back to school Social Story15th May 2020
- Classroom looks different Social Story15th May 2020
- Some of Our friends in different classrooms Social Story15th May 2020
- It is Your Turn to go back to school Social Story15th May 2020
- Returning To School During COVID 19 social story20th May 2020